How to be pain free

Saturday 6 October 2012

Life's a Challenge




Everyday is a new challenge to me. My daily routine is to get to bed on time and get up on time to go through my morning regime before I can get my butt out.

In order to achieve this, I face several obstacles. Firstly, getting to bed is simply just jumping on it but not falling asleep or getting sufficient 6 hours of REM sleep which means waking up not refreshed. Next would be able to get out of bed and to the shower which is another challenge. On good days would be crippling and crawling around the house and using a cane to facilitate my mobility on real bad days. It takes about 45 minutes to be able finally step into the shower. Then I'm off to work.


Public Transport

Taking a public bus during the morning peak hour rush can be so frustrating yet a challenge. We squeezed ourselves into the bus and always almost kiss the door or the driver. People standing may just rub against each other's shoulders or be embraced when the driver jam break. Women are at a disadvantage though.




So that's me, standing and holding on to the railing. I need to balance myself at an angle depending on the speed running and the start-stop timing.  My back and hips would hurt so much while standing after 20 minutes that's my suffering in silence while pining in hope for a seat. Each bus trip seems like an endless journey. A journey of struggling to cope with chronic pain on the job. The debilitating effects can have major repercussions just to keep working, never mind about advance in careers, while battling persistent pain caused by Fibromyalgia (FMS).

This poem was written during one of those bad days when things were getting out of perspective, but it's so true and exactly the life of the sufferer of FMS.

It's morning again
Another brand new day
Along with the aches and pain

Will follow to my usual place

Bus packed with people
Without any extra space
Can't breathe, can't stand, can't sit
Wishin someone let me have a seat

A few minutes is all I need

 To ease my agony
Such a torture, what a pain
Having to go through every single day

There's no question about it. Chronic pain presents tremendous challenges for people who are trying to build and maintain a career.

If you like poems, there are more in my next post on "Fibro in a Nutshell". Poems are therapeutic and helps in distracting pain. This post will continue to have unlimited updates as I go along living with Fibro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.