How to be pain free

Saturday 6 October 2012

What is Fibro?


How do I explain to others that this condition is limiting my physical ability and daily functions? How to explain to fellow colleagues and friends? Doing housework is a BIG issue because all I can do is just anything not washing more than 5 plates or bowls, I spend 30 minutes to hang up a 5 kg load of laundry or 2 hours vacuum and mop 3 rooms. I can hardly accept imperfection of my own home, as I've been an almost clean freak all my life. 

My greatest gift in my life is having the best mum in the world. She understands that I lack the physical abilities ... my wrist tendinities, muscle loss, lack of energy and stamina but I have yet to explain to her about my Fibromyalgia (FMS).  She does not need to know the medical terms and prognosis of this illness but I know for sure she understands from the way I walk, move and behave.   On good days, I would try to do as much as I can then pay for it later. I have to let her know that I still care despite my condition and I still contain the filial piety cultivated in me.

I usually ask the person how they feel when they have the flu. If they reply positive then I will tell them that having Fibromyalgia feels like that every single day, except to add in shooting shocks of pain and sometimes extreme dull, radiating pain. I would also mention the pain feels like having lots of toothache all over.


I hope that by explaining what Fibromyalgia feels like the person will have something to relate the information I’m giving them to without being confused with medical terms and processes they have never heard of before. If I continue on about mental aspects I also say there is this thing called Fibro Fog which makes it hard to recall words and keep trains of thought. To put it simply, it is forgetfulness or some may say that I am "blur" or lost. I know this is not an all-encompassing description, but it covers a lot in basic terms that I hope they will remember.

I hope my explanation will raise awareness and enhance their relationship with those who have Fibromyalgia – including me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.